Sunday, February 21, 2010

Primary Star Singers Club

DJ Modeling the Star Singer Lanyard!



The Star Singer Box, Rules, and my lanyard with all the buttons


The bags of buttons ready to be passed out. The Star and Heart fasteners



A picture of our Star Singer Rules


Last fall I was called to be the primary singing lady. It has been fun and I have been trying to find fun and creative ways to motivate the kids to not SING each week... Some have worked better than others... I wanted to post a few of my favs so far.

I say this awesome idea from another blog (Beehive Messages) where the choirester created a "singing club" I adapted my idea from hers. The criteria to be in the club is to:

  1. Learn the monthly songs
  2. Learn the monthly scriptures
  3. Learn the 13 Articles of Faith
  4. Sing in Primary and Sacrament Meeting
  5. Try to Be like Jesus in Primary each week
  6. Share musical talents during Singing Time Talent Days **have yet to do this**...

All the children in primary --Jr and Sr joined the club~ they were given a ribbon and the club rules. Jr primary just has to try to sing the songs their best and read the monthly scriptures and AoF...

I made red, yellow and blue ribbon (our primary colors) lanyards. I glued velcro on the ends (like our disney pin lanyards) and glued a circle button in the middle that reads: "Gainesville 2nd Ward Star Singer". Our first primary in Jan, I showed them my lanyard with all the buttons on it, read the club rules and told them with practice, they could all fill their lanyards. The kids are all encouraged to bring their ribbons each week with their scriptures. It isn't a singing contest--everyone who trys their best will succeed!

I made 2 inch circle buttons in publisher, and found a Fiskars round punch that cut them perfectly. Cara helped me figure out to use a small brad fastener to hold the button on the ribbon. I found some cute heart and star brads. It works well to hold the card stock on the ribbon!



I had this cool red, yellow, blue star box that I made our "STAR SINGER" box. It has all the extra lanyards, brads, and monthly buttons they can earn by passing off their songs! It took a lot longer than I anticipated, but I am glad I did it and hope the kids make it to August and get all of their pins! It was expecially cute to see the sunbeams wear their star singer medals (what they called them) and sing their little hearts out today!


I display the "STAR SINGER" box on the piano each week to remind them to be great singers. When they pass off the AoF, Scriptures, and Talent, I will give them a TBD larger fun shaped brad for their lanyard!

During singing time today, we had our 1st pass off attempt of I Know That My Savior Loves Me. The teachers, bishop and I all determined that the kdis all did FANTASTIC and passed it off on their 1st attempt! Because we had an olympic theme for singing time, it was a GOLD MEDAL performance of the song! We put the "I Know that My Savior Loves Me" button on the lanyards with a heart shaped fastener during sharing time and haned the lanyards back at the end of primary!

No comments:

Holidays

Brentwood Holiday Concert 2009

Not So Scarry Halloween 2008